March 08, 2008

The score so far...

Blogs I have written on the subject of

Other people's art: 8
My own art: 42
Being an au pair: 11
Design: 3
Food: 9
Miscellaneous: 95
My Online Exhibition: 1
My poetry: 6
Other people's poetry: 1
Travel: 66

Looks like miscellaneous wins -- I should rename this blog Various Assorted Miscellany and Rhetorical Tautology...

Incidentally, is tautology only possible in English? It often seems as if we don't have single words for describing something exactly, but instead some blanket term, which can then be made more specific by adding modifiers. For example, go out, go back, go up -- all using the word go, as compared to French, which uses entirely different words for each action (sortir, reculer, monter). And because we get so used to adding words for more specific meaning, we sometimes add redundant words (how many times have I hovered over a weblink for it to tell me if I click it, I will "return back to the previous page" ?

I should add that I'm aware of the French influence on English, and of the existence of words that are a little less vague and require less modification -- reversing, exiting (technically from Latin, I think), mounting...

Languages are fun!

As an aside, I didn't waste some grey afternoon tallying up my innumerable blogs (215 so far); Blogger does it automatically for me!

Labels: