April 14, 2008

About Last Fortnight

Haven't I been quiet lately! It's because I've been in Prague, looking with suspicion out the window at the rain/fog/wind/generally inhospitable weather. True to form, the sun shone merrily on the last day of my stay there.

Despite the meteorological difficulties, I had a lovely time there, cooking, eating, watching movies and generally just chilling out. Oh, but I finally went to see Prague castle -- the most popular tourist attraction in Prague and it only took me until my third visit to the city to go there, hehehe!

An aside: Am I getting old? I'm starting to find that the pros of a night out (getting dressed up, flirting with strangers, drinking myself tipsy, laughing raucously, dancing like a steel town girl on a Saturday night) no longer outweigh the cons (having to make plans, mingling and small talk, irregular sleep, pathetic pick up attempts, lame jokes) so I spent most of my Prague nights snuggled up all cosy and warm... though the weather probably merits that kind of thing anyway!

A second aside: Having had a pretty rough trot with the airline getting back, and having heard that my mum and sister went through something similar with their last trip, I'm wondering, are budget airlines really worth it?

On my sister's flight, someone had accidentally tripped the emergency slide whilst cleaning the plane before take off, so they were delayed whilst the slide was being retracted (or rolled up or deflated or whatever) and on top of that a quarter of the passengers had to be put onto another flight. Then, once rest of the passengers had boarded, the intercom malfunctioned and so they sat on the tarmac for a further 90 minutes while it was fixed.

My first flight to Zurich was delayed by 2 hours, which meant I missed my connecting flight from there to Nice. The airline put me onto the next available flight, but 10 minutes before landing at our final destination, one of the screens stopped working and so we had to turn around, land in Zurich again and wait another 2 hours for a new plane and crew to be called in, before taking off again. I finally arrived in Nice at 2am... 8 hours later than originally scheduled, and ended up spending the night in a hotel because I had another 2 hours of travel in front of me before arriving back in Lorgues. Zounds!!

Labels: