April 14, 2008

French Culture Shock


I'm currently in correspondence with the next au pair for Baptiste. She's only just graduated from high school and I think this is why she's been asking me lots of questions. One which made me think a little bit (more than usual) was if I'd noticed anything particularly interesting about the French culture.

My take on French culture... I think the most extraordinary thing I've noticed is how much American film, TV and music is here! I kind of expected France to have a more independent entertainment industry, but then again, Hollywood has a pretty big monopoly.

I have to say, the thing that I love most about France is the sieste -- not just the sieste itself, but everything it implies. Lunch in Australia (especially for teachers) is a hurried half hour or so when you throw something down your throat with no real regard to what it is or how it tastes. And, as you may have guessed, the way to my heart is through my stomach, so having the time to prepare my lunch properly and eat it at leisure is great. The whole notion of taking the time to really enjoy your lunch and then having a little rest or at least a little bit of chill time where you're not working and not madly rushing around trying to get errands done whilst not at work (which is impossible because everything is closed during sieste, except restaurants) really appeals to me. It's just a more balanced approach to life, rather than using all your time and energy on work.

Something else I've noticed about France is how stylish everyone is -- even in such a small village like Lorgues. Most people here really take the time to do their hair and match their clothes and shoes. There are far too many beauty salons and hair dressers in Lorgues, it's crazy! And the TV personalities here are always dressed and made up impeccably -- no embarrassing paparazzi shots of celebs who have let themselves go here! But then again, France has always been noted for its sense of style. I didn't really notice this until I was in Prague last week, and turning on the TV, or even just walking down the street was a bit of a visual shock. I don't really place too much stock in appearances (as I've previously posted, most mornings I don't even brush my hair and my wardrobe is pretty utilitarian) but without meaning to, I've gotten used to having everyone around me be stylish, even if I'm not!!

All in all, I'd have to say it hasn't really been too much of a culture shock, after all, I grew up in a Western culture (admittedly with Asian influences), and France is part of the West too. If I were to totally stereotype, I'd say that even if there were fairly big differences between French and Australian culture, Aussies are generally easy going enough to just go with the flow no matter what!

Labels: