May 22, 2008

Cannes Film Festival!



The film festival (it transforms the entire town into a movie foyer). The crowds (all sporting the official festival tote bag, even if they aren’t officially part of the festival). The stars (pretending that they’re utterly normal people, as they walk down the street being followed by adoring fans and hungry paparazzi). The schmoozing (done by earnest film folk who are sufficiently low down on the film food chain that they still have to wear their festival passes and go to screenings).



Even though I’m utterly crap at star spotting, I still managed to get a glimpse of Christian Slater (he was behind me whilst I was retying my ponytail and I didn’t even notice, until the paparazzi swarmed around me – very surreal) and Scott Speedman (coming out of his hotel, he looked vaguely familiar and I spent the rest of the day wondering what his name was and what film he was in). Despite copping an eyeful of both men, I was too slow to get any photos. There was also a girl in a stunning purple gown striding down the street, entourage in tow, but I have to admit I was more interested in the gown than the face, and by the time I got around to realising someone important might have been in the gown, she was long gone. Oh well!

While I was in Cannes, I visited Ile St Marguerite too. Tranquil, foresty, with lots of well laid out walking paths – a welcome respite from the festival if ever one was needed … and after a few hours in Cannes, I definitely needed it!





Found on a beach at Cannes. Pretty cool sand scuplture, eh?

Labels: