April 25, 2008

Banana cake, Genie style

I love to cook, so long as I'm not obligated to cook. Given that I'm a tiny little slip of a thing, the eating of my output can be a bit problematic, which is why living with other people is a very, very good idea for me. Here's this morning's experiment, which turned out to be absolutely delicious. I'm currently munching on slice #3 and it's not even lunch time...



Genie's Kickass Banana Cake

3 bananas
1/2 tablespoon of honey
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of butter

1 cup of raw sugar
1/3 cup of butter

1 egg
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch of salt

1 1/2 cups flour


Cut the bananas into pieces and place in a pot with the butter, honey and cinammon in a pot on low heat. Cook until slightly caremlised, stirring to break up the banana pieces (though I personally prefer to have some banana chunks, so I don't stir too much). Allow to cool slightly once ready.

Put the raw sugar (this can be cut down to 3/4 of a cup, if you want) and butter in a large mixing bowl, add the banana mixture and stir. Add the egg, maple syrup, baking soda and salt, mix well (the batter will probably become frothy because of the warm sugar and soda -- don't worry about it). Gradually add the flour, beating well.

Pour into a greased loaf tin and cook at 180° for 45-60 minutes, or until golden brown on top. If the top doesn't appear to browning as quickly as the sides, brush it with a little butter at the 30-minute mark.

Yum!! Most of the time when I cook, they're one hit wonders. I generally just add stuff that I find in the pantry or fridge that seems like a good idea at the time, in ever increasing quantites until the food smells right. It's nice to know that this one will be a multiple hit wonder!

Labels: