Road Trips

I love road trips but unfortunately I am a terrible road trip buddy. Essentially, unless driving, I am unable to maintain consciousness for any stretch of time within a moving vehicle. The current record stands at getting into the car at 9am, fresh as a daisy after a good night's sleep and hearty breakfast and then out like a light in 15 minutes.
When you're travelling by bus or plane or train it's not so bad, but when it's you and another person alone in a car it's another story. At first there's laughter and conversation, then it lapses a little, and then silence, and then a warm, happy blanket of oblivion. I can't comment on what the experience is like for those travelling with me. At a guess I'd say interesting, amusing, annoying or downright disgusting, as I'm not a particularly graceful sleeper. Drooling on the seat has definitely occurred in the past and on this road trip, I was told that I snored (he tried to soften the blow by calling them cute little snores, but a snore by any other name is an unattractively loud inhalation).
Upon waking, I'll feel mostly groggy but also slightly guilty, as whilst I've been having a kip, my travel partner (diligent, though deprived of conversation) will have been guiding us to where we needed to be (but not so guilty that I won't fall asleep again, given the opportunity).
And then on top of the varoius naps I'll take during the day, I'll STILL need a good 8 - 10 hours of sleep that night before waking like a very grumpy zombie the next morning.
Apparently I'm not a morning person.
Labels: Travel


<< Home