The Princess Bride
S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure
[Taken from the forward by William Goldman, abridger]
I know I don't expect this to change anybody else's life the way it altered mine.
But take the title words -- "true love and high adventure" -- I believed in that once. I thought my life was going to follow that path. Prayed that it would. Obviously it didn't, but I don't think there's high adventure left any more. Nobody takes out a sword nowadays and cries, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father; prepare to die!"
And true love you can forget about too. I don't know if I love anything truly any more beyond the porterhouse at Peter Luger's and the cheese enchilada at El Parador's.
[A little part inside of me died when I realised that I feel this way now too.]
[Addendum March 17: Nevertheless, I really wanted to say to him, I still love you.]
Labels: Miscellaneous


<< Home