Copenhagen
Once you get away from the awful department stores, souvenier shops and neon lights of Storget (the main shopping drag), Copenhagen is a beautiful little city. There are some gorgeous old buildings, complete with breathtaking facades and spiralling turrets but also some really funky new architecture too (I love a slanty building -- it's so gravity defying!)
It's been so fascinating to have seen all four of the Nordic countries is quick succession -- really gives you a feel for their overall uniting features but also the subtle differences between them. (Incidentally, you can be in the Artic Circle, in the most remote and northernmost town imaginable with very unhospitable weather and there will STILL be a Chinese restaurant in town. AND it will be listed in the Lonely Planet as somewhere to eat. Insane!)
These last few weeks I've seen places that I never thought I would see, places that I never even thought about seeing ... and yet here it is happening, like some grand and worldly surprise party. Life is fucking awesome!
Labels: Travel

<< Home