December 28, 2007

Berlin

Berlin is as cool as ever. Braved the cold today for a good 4 hours or so to take a walking tour of the city, then visited a museum where they've got the Gates of Babylon, taken apart piece by piece and reconstructed inside the museum. Visited a chocolate shop-cafe-restaurant at the Gendarmarkt and had THE best chocolate mousse ever, along with chilli hot chocolate (I could have happily died, feeling my life complete after that snack) ... unfortunately they have a wedding booking tomorrow night, otherwise, guess where I'd be having dinner! If I ever come back to Berlin again, it will be because of that chocolate shop! Spent the latter part of the night waiting in line to get into the Reichstag (Germany's parliarment house) to see the view from the cupola (worth the wait and the climb and the cold). Funny though, even though I've been living a fairly stable existence for the last 6 months, playing happy families in France for 4 months andin Sweden for 2 months before that, the whole tourist thing has become just that, a thing, a fatiguing thing, and not an imperative the way it has been in the past. Could this be the end of my nomadicism?? Homebody tendencies aside though, Berlin really is cool, full of history, culture and science: one could live here a lifetime and not discover everything!

Labels: