February 19, 2007

Excerpt - Installation (3M Hooks, I love you!)

Spent most of the day in the cafe today setting up the exhibition. Because Village Cafe don't really have a proper set up for displaying art works, I'm using 3M adhesive hooks, which can be applied and removed without any damage to the walls. Sounds like a dream come true? The down side is that first you have to wash the walls down so that the adhesive can stick correctly to the surface, and then after applying them you must wait an hour before you can put any weight on them -- ie I spent an hour washing walls, then an hour and a half fastidiously measuring how and where the works should go, then applying the hooks and then ... waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting ... before spending another half hour or so hanging the works and then positioning each accompanying piece of text.

By the time that was all done, it was bang in the middle of lunch rush for the cafe, so I had to occupy myself for an hour or so (visited Tristans Art Gallery to check out their newest show) until it was quiet enough at the cafe for me to be able to clear away the tables and chairs that they normally keep in that room and then organise some things with the cafe manager for the opening night.

So it's been a bit of an intermittent day as far as work goes and I've got a list of things to do over the next couple of days, but the bulk of the work for installing the exhibition is mostly done now, and lo and behold, the erstwhile back dining room has been transformed into a miniature art gallery! Hooray!!

Labels: