September 14, 2007

All About Food

1. When someone in France says something about "pain perdu" they are not talking about inflicting injury to each of the deserving (literal English) or finding their lost loaf of bread (literal French). They are talking about a tasty concoction made using yesterday's bread, eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon. The rest of us call it French toast. My family cacked themselves the other day when they asked if I'd heard of pain perdu and I said, something is lost?

2. Baptiste said his first word the other day. (I promise this is food related). Most of his other vocalisations sound like squeaks and squeals when he's happy (he also likes to hit his chest with his fist and shake his head madly if he's really ecstatic) or if he's feeling sorry for himself he goes "mmmmuh mmmmmuh mmmmmuh" and if he's angry/frustrated he makes a slightly more unpleasant squealing sound or a harsh kind of "ah!" sound (which is the exact same sound we make when he's about to touch something he's not supposed to "Ah ah ah!! No Baptiste! Tu ne touche pas!! Don't touch!!" Boy, am I a pro at saying that now). But, I digress. So the kid says his first word. Twice. And has refused to do it since. Amusingly, the rest of us have taken to saying the word randomly at intervals, just in case he decides to do it again. And what was the word? Gateau!!

Labels: