August 11, 2008

Wild Mushrooms

Pics courtesy of Kanak.

A few weeks ago I went mushroom picking with some friends. It was admittedly less than ideal mushroom conditions: not a lot of rain in the preceding few days, I had no idea which mushrooms to look for and we started quite late in the day (in theory, everyone else in the area would have gotten up early and picked all the mushrooms, or at least that's what my friends told me!).

We tried again in a different spot after some quite wet weather, and bingo! Mushrooms!! So many in fact that at one point we started complaining whenever we found some more. Given that I only found poinsonous mushrooms during my first excursion, I was really happy to spot some edible ones!



Even better, we found three different types of mushroom, one of them being a rarer type only found in certain places (the bright yellow ones in the photo below). I've decided to rename them the Genie Mushrooms, because I spotted them so often!



We were so crazy about these mushrooms that we clambered over slimy and slippery rocks to cross the river to get to the opposite bank, where there were stacks of them growing! It was mildly dangerous and at one point I slipped and totally soaked my daks (hooray for walking around looking like you peed your pants) but it was totally worth it! Mushroom soup, mushroom omelette, fried mushrooms with onion... Ahhh! A full Genie is a happy Genie!

Labels: