July 18, 2007

Stream of Consciousness

"There is a line of horses outside -- I remember riding a horse in Inner Mongolia, it was so nice and quiet on the grass plains. Thank God Hans isn't saying anything at the moment; silence is golden -- well, sometimes, for instance, if the company you're keeping has the personality of lead -- hah and feet of clay ... That was a good book, I like Captain Vimes and there were golems and Harold Crick saying "Yes I am glad I am not a golem" so hilarious because it was so obvious he had no idea what a golem was, that's one of my favourite movies."

I thought this in a quiet moment during breakfast this morning ... What I wonder is, if we think like this all the time, why is it so hard to read this stuff? I could only read Mrs Dalloway a little at a time because of the stream of consciousness style narrative.

Labels: